Immigration and Visas



Are you considering moving to Europe? If so then you will need to ask yourself which European country you will move to and what you’ll need before you travel. The basic things to consider during relocation are visas and permits. You also need to think about vaccines, restrictions or taxes on shipped household items, taxes due when you ship your car, vaccines and quarantines for pets and insurance.

It seems like it can be a little bit overwhelming handle all of this. Our job is to make it easy for you!

Let’s take a look on the Portugues situation. Before coming to Portugal, you’ll need to find out which Portuguese visa or residence permit you require to legally enter and stay in the country. Portuguese immigration differs depending on your nationality, the purpose of your stay and your intended length of time in Portugal.

Under Portuguese immigration policy, Nationals from the EU/EEA and Switzerland can typically enter using their identity cards. All other foreign visitors will need a passport that is valid for at least six months, plus the visa.

Portuguese visas are typically processed by the Portuguese embassy in your country of residence. The Portuguese Immigration Office (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, SEF) is responsible for issuing Portuguese resident permits (Autorização de Residência).

Portuguese visa requirements: Which Portuguese visa?


Schengen short-stay visa

If you are visiting Portugal as a tourist or intend to stay for less than three months, you can apply for a Portuguese Schengen visa. The Schengen short-stay visa allows you to stay in Portugal, or anywhere in the Schengen area, for a total of 90 days out of an 180-day period. There are different types of Portuguese short term Schengen visa: Airport transit visa (Visa A), Transit and short-term stay visa (Visa C) and the Limited Territorial Validity (LTV)


Portuguese residence visa

This is a Portuguese visa for a four-month period in order to request a residence permit after arrival. This can be granted for any of the following reasons: employed work, self-employment or entrepreneurial activities. Also scientific research or teaching, study, student exchange, internship or voluntary service or higher education mobility programmes. Last but not least family reunion, pensioners and people with income.


Work in Portugal

Citizens from the EU/EFTA do not need any official work permit in Portugal. Nonetheless they are required to find a job if they don’t have sufficient funds to support themselves. Non-EU who are entering for work purposes for less than three months will require a short-term Portuguese Schengen Visa for business purposes. If employment will last longer than three months, then a Portuguese Residence Visa (type D, long term visa) for employment purposes is needed.


Study in Portugal

If you are moving to Portugal to study longer than three months, you will need a Portuguese residence permit. Or a certificate depending on your nationality. Those requiring a visa to enter Portugal will need to first apply for a Schengen Visa for students. Later collect a residence permit to extend their stay in Portugal. See our guide to Portuguese student visas and requirements.

Family Reunion

Joining a relative in Portugal

Spouses, partners and certain relatives can apply to join foreigners who are living in Portugal. Who can apply and the processes depend on the residency status of the person who has moved to Portugal, the type of family relation and the nationality of the applicant.


Portuguese citizenship

Foreign residents can apply for full Portuguese citizenship after six years of residence, although exceptions apply; for example, it’s only three years for spouses of Portuguese citizens and considerably easier for children born to at least one Portuguese citizen or a foreign permanent resident holder.


Types of Portuguese Long Term Visas


VISA D1 – Workers

Intended for those who have a promise or work contract, as well as a document proving absence of a global contingent of employment opportunity (Art. 59 nº7 of Law 23/2007, of July 4).

VISA D2 – Entrepreneurs

Aims to provide a residence permit for foreigners who wish to constitute a business activity in Portugal, in accordance with article 60, paragraph 2, of Law no. 23/200

VISA D7 – Retired and Pensionists

Granted to retirees and persons who own their own monthly income. The residence can be extended to spouses, children under 18 years and parents over 65 years.


The Gold Visa is a Residence Permit for Investors – granted to third-country nationals who fulfill certain conditions of eligibility and investment in Portugal.